Friday, April 19, 2013

I Thee Wed



For those of you who were unable to attend our wedding ceremony, Christian and I thought it would nice to post our vows, as we wrote our own to each other. 

CHRISTIAN'S VOWS:
Missy... Here we are. Nearly 6 years from the day we became official. If someone would have told me back then that 6 years from now I would be marrying the woman of my dreams, I probably would have laughed. My life back then was all about the next party and how I was going to get there. I was a lost young man that was incomplete. That is, until I met you. You entered my life and you were like no one I had ever been with before. You loved everything I did and even if you didn't, you adapted and at least acted like you did. You supported and had my back no mater what, and I knew that without a doubt you loved me. You were/are perfect and I knew from day one that this relationship was going to be special. 

Fast forward and here we are. Along the way we've added 3 extraordinary boys, by far the biggest challenge of my life. It has been so rewarding watching them grow up, but what I am most proud of is their incredible mother. You have literally become the best mother that anyone could ask for. I know that if mama were here right now, she would honestly be so proud of you as well. Obviously she was my greatest influence and my best friend. When I lost her 12 years ago, my life was turned upside down. I thought that I would never experience a love & companionship that I had with her. Standing here with you today though, I can finally say that YES, I have found that. And I know that somewhere up in heaven, she is looking down with that great big smile of hers. I know that she is proud of the man that I have become, and I am not that man without you. 

I owe my life to you, Missy. Without you, I am not standing here today as a father of 3 extremely beautiful children, a career-minded man & a homeowner. And I'm so happy to add super handsome husband to that list :). Our life together may not always be easy. In fact, it really hasn't been easy at all. But here we are, standing strong as a couple, and now as husband & wife. None of this is possible without you by my side. You inspire me everyday to be a better man, father & husband. 

As we move forward from here, it is my commitment to ALWAYS be by your side. We may never be super rich. We may never have the nicest home or vehicle. We may never be able to take that dream vacation we want. But... we will ALWAYS have each other. You will ALWAYS have my unconditional love. I will ALWAYS strive to do what I can to be the best father for our kids. I will ALWAYS support you in whatever it is you want to do. No matter where life takes us from here, your husband will ALWAYS be there. I will love you until the day that I die. You have made my life complete and I am so anxious to see where our journey leads us from here. I am honored to be standing here with you, committing my life to you. So as we take this next step, just know that I, Christian Daniel Novales, will ALWAYS be here. 




MISSY VOWS:
Dear Papa,
I have thought about this moment for almost six years and as many times as I have rehearsed it, I still am not fully prepared to feel this rush of emotion. Standing here now, it is a million times more amazing than I ever dreamed it would be. There may be family members and friends both inside and outside of this room that think we have waited too long to make this eternal devotion. Upon sharing the excitement of our marriage I have heard things like don't do it, I thought you were married already, it's about time, and I'm glad you are making the "right" decision. While I respect these individuals, it is clear that we have differing visions of love and righteousness. As different as each of our interpretations of marriage may be, neither time nor opinion has not weakened this moment. I am more so in love with you right now than I have ever been. I love you more than the first day we kissed, I love you more than the first time we held each of our babies in our arms, I love you more than the day we owned our very first home and I will continue to love you more as we walk hand-in-hand along the journey that is the rest of our lives. 

Today I am entirely yours, in mind, in body and in spirit. Every ounce of me is for you. Your triumphs are now my triumphs, your heartaches also my heartaches. When life has me frustrated and I am in utter defeat, I will now look to you for strength and solace. I trust you to make decisions for me and for our family, and I trust that when you are not sure what the right decision is, you will readily seek my counsel. Every day we must choose honesty, patience, humility & forgiveness. We must practice understanding, acceptance and optimism. In the end, in the darkest of hours, we must choose each other... and I whole-heartedly choose you. I now have a poem I would like to share, which I call "The Story of Us".

The Story of Us...
There once was a boy, shy and sweet, whose love for his mother made him melt at her feet. Classically trained, music flowed from each finger, though it pleased his mother, an emptiness lingered. Before he knew it he was nearly eighteen, in the midst of high school, his future unseen. And then in an instant, the utterance of three words, Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma spewed venom and gerd. To take away life, her very last breath, all meaning was lost as they laid her to rest. And then came the rage, the self-inflicted demise, of a ruptured heart hidden well in disguise.

Not too far away, grew a little girl, thoughtful and ambitious, in tune with the world. She did everything just right, just as expected, daddy's little girl, overprotected. Perfection was love, love was perfection, the standards were set no room for perception. Awkward and unsure she sought outward attention, experimentation was at large and so fought prevention. And then off to college, where freedom was thicker, where the beer tasted good, but liquor was quicker. Desperate to please, with lost inhibition, repeatedly she was devoured by poor intuition.

So the stage was set, as fate may have brought, two lost souls together, as neither had thought. It was quite a whirlwind of glutinous proportion, a juvenile lust of deviant distortion. In love with love, as they slept side-by-side, both dreamed of the day she would become his bride. Tired of the parties, and late night pa rousing, they shared in self-reflection, an innermost musing. Two tiny beings would quickly bring light, miraculously the blind were granted new sight. Ecstatically terrified of the changes they faced, but trusted their love and strength of embrace. 

Before they knew it, their babies were two, life had rushed by as they say, it was true. Rattled by illness, stress and guilt, she wished she could change the life she had built. So it was decided, by no easy task, that she would come home to her babies at last. Shortly after came a third little blessing, the last of 3 boys, brought the family new testing. Fast forward in time, just six months later, the two stand before you, changed for the greater. 

Neither would be here without all of you, observing our journeys from one into two. We thank our families, who have taught us to love, endowed on us wisdom and guidance from above. Thank you all for sharing this moment, bearing witness to a love inked in arm and atonement. We ask for God's blessing, his love and his grace and ask for forgiveness from all our mistakes. As today we are united in marital bliss, I seal this poem with passionate kiss.




No comments:

Post a Comment