My Kingdom Come... My personal exploration of my own utopian here on earth. An idealistic chronicle on life through the eyes of a woman, wife and mother.
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Napoleonism
"Let him sleep... for when he wakes, he will move mountains" - Napoleon Bonaparte
This past weekend I boldly scripted this quote on my 3 month old son's wall. I think I first came across the quote on Pinterest, so it is obviously not a rare find, but it really struck a chord with me.
Bluntly used, the words certainly fit well over an infants crib, as infants do by nature slumber; but upon researching the origin of the quote I found that it was an adaptation of historical phrasing originally spoken by Napoleon, "Let China Sleep, for when she wakes, she will shake the world".
As a mother, these words just seem to captivate me. I think everyone has some form of "words to live by," some sort of proclamation that saturates their soul. This is how I hope to raise my three boys. For me this quote embodies a philosophy of trusting your child to just be... "Let him sleep," meaning let him be whoever he is destined to become. Free him from encumbrance and expectation. "For when he wakes," when he deems himself learned, worthy and masterful, "he will move mountains," he will undoubtedly astound.
I am so convicted to these beliefs. I think as a parent I can only hope for my children to be comfortable in themselves. I hope that I am able to model in a way that exudes unshakable confidence, constitutes invulnerable trust and bestows unconditional love, for with a backbone such as this, my children cannot fail.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment