“As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.” ― Henry David Thoreau
Said so plainly, but so beautifully. I have been mulling this idea for weeks now and I find that it beckons me in a strangely enticing way. Ironic that the by definition, living simply, is in fact one of the most difficult and complex means of living. So what does living simply actually mean? I think indefinitely responses will vary on an individual basis - but surely it requires profound self-reflection and manifestation of one's innermost needs over superficial desires.
Through several years of introspection, I have concluded that my life is much more complex when I am living up to standards that are not of my own development. I have discovered increased stress, anguish, self-doubt and overall unhappiness when I try to succumb to expectations that have been forced upon me by others or from within myself. Inner peace only seems to be granted when I am able to overlook both blatant and nuanced assumptions and simply live in my own skin.
Life, inevitably revolves around perception, the discernment of what is true, acceptable or real based on one's own experiences and knowledge. Our perceptions fog the lens through which we are able to see not only ourselves, but those around us. Our vision becomes even less distinguishable when the mass media spews tidings of materialism and consumerism, spiraling us into an incessant cycle of desire and depression. How are we ever to be happy, to feel complete? There in lies the both problem and solution. Once we are able to recognize that perceptions are malleable illusions over which we can grant ourselves power, we will come to understand that the world is for our taking. No longer will we have to subdue ourselves to ideas of social and material status. We will be free to simply live and live simply.
Simple living is more than a mere reduction of physical possessions. Simplifying begins with reshaping our deeply ingrained perceptions and working to extinguish thoughts of eminence from our existence. So in reality, purging unused or unwanted tangible items is by far the easier task, while the lifelong battle becomes striving to find peace and happiness in what we already possess.
We as a people exert so much of our time, effort and emotion at our jobs. We spend hours, days or weeks away from our families, friends and loved ones. We run ourselves ragged with worry and stress and relinquish our days to places of employment which, for most of us, bring utter displeasure. And, we do this for what? We do this, for a paycheck which we know will provide the necessities and hope will indulge the fantasies of an easier and more enjoyable life.
When will we learn to stop working and begin enjoying our lives? Desire is infinite when comfort is not imminent. The simple solution to finding happiness is to trade in our unruly material appetites for modesty and contentment. For then, and only then shall we find true happiness and realization.
No comments:
Post a Comment